Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Digital Color Theory ~M (Read 4243 times)
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 5:14am

MadOz   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Annoy the Boring
The foothills of Pikes Peak, USA, CO, Colorado

You are a hard taskmaster, Don...But I like it!
Okay, it is too late tonight to mentally chew on this, but after a bit of sleep, I'm looking forward to trying to "fill in the blanks."

I haven't even gotten to the part of trying to visually correspond "digital color" to the artist pigments...
"My head's full. Can I be excused now?" LOL!

If and when I understand this from a Digital POV, I am SO hoping to be able to apply it with the ease that understanding provides...

Thanks for "signposts," I'll post my answers Friday.

Madeline

Life is short, create while you can!
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 1:45am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Here's the RCW.

1. Yellow = YY YY YY YY YY MM
2. Yellow Yellow yellow Magenta = YY YY YY MM
3. Yellow Deep = YY YY MM
4. Orange = YY YM
7. Red = YM YM
10. Crimson = MM MY
13. Magenta = MM
16. Purple = MM MC
19. Ultramarine blue = CM
22. Cobalt blue = CC CC CC CC MM MM MM
25. Cyan, Thalo blue = CC CC CC CC CC CC
26.                              CC CC CC CC CC YY
27.                              CC CC CC CC YY
28. Turquoise =           CC CC CC YY
29.                              CC CC  YY
30.                              CC CC CC YY YY
31. Green =                CC CC CC YY YY YY
32. Gr-gr-gr-yellow =  CC CC CC YY YY YY YY
33. Green-gr-yellow = CC CC YY YY YY
34. Yellow-green  =     YY YY CC
35. Yellow-yellow-gr = YY YY YY CC
36. Yell-yell-yell-gr =   YY YY YY YY YY CC
1. Yell-yell-yell-yell =   YY YY YY YY YY YY YY

I hope that helps.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 12:56am

MadOz   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Annoy the Boring

Okay Don,

This is the point where I first started beating my head against a wall way back when...

Yes, it’s the arcane RYB color theory that I am still have troubles shaking, but I’m trying, really I am!

Attached is the color scheme I am trying to break down to “modern color theory.” Since you have a MUCH better grasp of what the heck it is I am trying to understand, perhaps you can clarify how to apply this seemingly simple color theory breakdown of  “warmer” and “cooler” colors to your beautiful crystal color wheel...I’ll even love and cherish an application to an RGB color wheel! As is, nothing quite jives between the RYB of old and CMYK or RGB in today’s world...

To be honest with you, I beleive I found your RCW a couple of years back, but was so unable to wrap my mind around it, much less try to integrate it into this “razzle dazzle” color theory I’m trying to comprehend, that I kind of threw my hands up, stuck my head in the sand, and forgot...I have a file full of color wheels, color theory articles, forum discussions and the like because of this (none of it really accomplishing what I want), and I have this odd “yearning” inside of me, wanting to unravel this strange, old color idea from this weird, old Walter Foster book, and apply it to today’s digital color scheme (remember, I told you that I’m more digital than traditional. Although, after having my socks blown off with your “simple” CMY color wheel, I just feel dumb as a rock, overall...LOL!)

So, please, if you can, help me out, and when you have a few moments, give me some guidance on how this old concept of color can be translated to relate to today’s color theory...

Thanks for your time and attention!

Madeline

Hi Don!

I’m sorry for being a pest, but you have no idea how long this has been chewing in the back of my head, and now that I’ve found you, I’m like someone whose been lost in the desert for weeks, who has found an oasis of cool, refreshing water...

Okay. With the basic 36 color RCW...Do you possibly have an index for the 36 colors just as colors? By that, I mean without any chemical names, i.e.

1. Yellow
   2. Yellow Orange
   3. Orange Yellow
   4. Orange
   5. Orange Red
   6. Red Orange
   7. Red
   8. ???

From the other side, I guess:

36. YellowYellow Green

35. Yellow Green

34. Green Yellow

33. Green Green Yellow

32. Green

31. Green Green Blue

32. Green Blue

30. ???

Do you see what I mean? Just the digital definition of what each of those 36 colors would be called without the words “cadmium,” “thalo,” etc...

Maybe that will help me in corresponding the various tones of the RCW...

Thanks!

Madeline

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 12:23am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Ok.. we both know the RYB (red, yellow blue) colorwheel posted above is completely out of the loop.

"There is some corresponding rationale, as digital work intended to go to the printer based on a CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) palette, rather than an RGB one. However, even this is worlds away from the "primitive" RYB color wheel."

The RGB colorwheel IS the RGB/CMY colorwheel. The primaries in light are RGB, the secondaries in light are CMY. The CMYK adds black because the ink laid down is too thin to make black. It would take six passes through the press and the paper can't take that. That's why the RCW can't be called a CMY colorwheel.

"At present, I am merely attempting to establish in my poor, thick head, the basic delineation line between "Warm" and "Cool" colors, as presented in the example posted  (which is from an old Walter T. Foster book on color), and relate it to the RCW, or the RGB color wheel.."

The RCW and the RCW-RGB have the same full colors on the rim of the color wheel. The RCW's colors darken differently then the RGB colors as the RCW follows the color of crystals darker colors.

"clarify how to apply this seemingly simple color theory breakdown of  “warmer” and “cooler” colors to your beautiful crystal color wheel...I’ll even love and cherish an application to an RGB color wheel! As is, nothing quite jives between the RYB of old and CMYK or RGB in today’s world... "

That's true, there is no way to compare the two.
The RCW has a warm and cool line from magenta to green

"Although, after having my socks blown off with your “simple” CMY color wheel, I just feel dumb as a rock, overall...LOL!)"

Well I hope you see now why the RCW is not a CMY or a CMY/RGB or a RGB/CMY color wheel.
The CMY color color wheel gets dark by subtracting light which adds a greenish looking tinge to color making it useless matching it to pigments. The RCW doesn't do this.

IP Logged

Feb 10th, 2005 at 5:56am

MadOz   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Annoy the Boring

Hello all!
Although I dabble in oils, my main medium nowadays is digital art, with its many millions of colors.

Having been brought up with the traditional Red/Yellow/Blue color wheel, I have enough of a mental meltdown just trying to break free of that to embrace the concepts of the RCW. However, when one attempts to then apply these theories to digital color, which is unencumbered by chemical makeup for color, all hell breaks loose in my cerebral cortex...

There is some corresponding rationale, as digital work intended to go to the printer is based on a CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) palette, rather than an RGB one. However, even this is worlds away from the "primitive" RYB color wheel.

Any explanation/conversion/clarification would be most gratefully appreciated!

~M

RYB-wheel.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged