Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
First Cera Colla.....of many (Read 3958 times)
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 1:00am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I did fine on acrylic gesso but I know it would be better on a glue, whiteing and titanium white ground.
Go to the sitetree and at the top of the page "search this site" enter, grounds.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/sitetree.htm

I did it for you.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/1mediums.htm#PRIMING%20GROUNDS

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 2:58am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist
Folsom, USA, CA, California

Hi Don: What do you think the best ground to paint with cera colla on would be? I'd like to prepare hardboard panels specifically for cerra colla work. Rich

Too much art is barely enough!!!
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 8:31pm

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

Forgot to mention this is an 8" x 10" on board.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 8:30pm

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

OK, this time I took my time and read your website carefully about your cera colla painting process. I think that I overcooked my medium last time, this time it turned out to be much better to work with, I saw it dry and polished it to an amazing glow just like you describe. I also realized about when I finished this one with almost literally the last brushstroke that the next one will turn out better, cera and I are communicating better.  Wink
Rich

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 10:27pm

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

Thanks Don, next time thin is in!    Grin  I was wondering about this aspect of painting in cera colla, I was considering painting on the back of a marble tile. Your website has me going in good directions if you can't tell that already.   Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 10:19pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Because cera cola is so soft it is basicly a thin medium. Thin can be buffed to a sheen. Originally and basicly a wall paint, the sheen was important.

Yes it could be used thickly, as mastic and wax can be built up, but cera cola is only emulsified wax. When you want a stronger design material to build up, a harder wax is used and used encausticly with heat. There are still fragments of encaustic wax on the Trajan Column. The Egyptian Fayum grave paintings were cera cola, not encaustic as is stated in current text books.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 8:09am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

One more detail.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 8:08am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

Details... 

IP Logged

Jul 13th, 2006 at 8:07am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

HI: I would consider this my first cera colla of many to come, I like this stuff a lot. I followed Don's recipe and advice from his  web site. This is really different than any media I have painted with, at times I felt  in control and other times "Cera" had her own ideas.....   Grin This is a 5" x 7" on canvas mounted on board, painted from life. I'm not sure that canvas is the best to work on..... ???  Rich

IP Logged