Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Cera Colla Mixed with Acrylics (Read 4269 times)
Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 8:20pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Completely dissolve the ammonium carbonate powder in hot water, strain it if it's not completely dissolved.

Also, the grainy could be two mixes were not the same hot temprature.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 12:37pm

EvelynT   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
U.K., United_Kingdom

I used 15gm ammonium carbonate powder gradually added to melted 30gm beeswax /150ml distilled water and it seemed to froth and emulsify but when you rubbed it between fingers it felt not really smooth but a bit grainy . Next day it separated into a more liquid layer with presumably heavier one underneath. I'll have a 3rd go. Ralph Mayer slakes the powder with a little water so that'll be my 4th go! Let's hope my part of the UK is dry this weekend as I prefer to take my hot plate outside and avoid the fumes. Wish me luck.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 6:50pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

"Ammonium carbonate or ammonium hydroxide is common ammonia water found at Ace Hardware, dilute it 1:1 with water. Heat it to where it is just starting to boil before you pour it into the melted wax. The ammonia water and wax should be mixed 1:1. Never boil the wax. Don't stop stirring until it's cool."

Did you have a clear strong smelling ammonia water that you heated seperatly to about the same temprature as the melted wax, so the two would finally mix together without any heat reaction?

"The mixture will expand 10 times larger as it effervesces. Keep stirring it until this reaction subsides and remove it from the heat. Keep stirring for seven more minutes as it cools down. It will become more viscus and finally It should be as smooth and creamy as whipped cream.
The pan should be easy to clean out with soap and water, it it isn't you have a problem, and made it wrong."

I don't understand what mixture "seperated out" the next day and felt grainy. Was it the ammonia water you were making or the cera colla mixture?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 6:08pm

EvelynT   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
U.K., United_Kingdom

I now have a 100gm supply of ammonium carbonate powder and must try for the 3rd time to make the emulsion.(using 15gm at a time) The other mixes separated  out by the next day and felt grainy. Maybe I didn't heat it for long enough???

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 1:43am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Instead of household ammonia that has soap in it, get janitorial strength ammonia from a hardware store. Ace Hardware has it.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 7:55pm

EvelynT   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
U.K., United_Kingdom

You're proving a great source of information! It's like having another tutor to hand!!! I'm just trying to get hold of ammonium carbonate powder or failing that household ammonia but meanwhile I'm continuing with encaustic on canvas covered boards. Evelyn T.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 10:17pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Evelyn,

The acrylic mixes with cera colla very well.
I preferred the 1:1 mixture.

This may be a viable new medium.
The addition of acrylic added pliability. Three days of drying and I did another scratch test. Yes it still scratches like cara colla but I think it is a little more resistant. More time will tell.

The next time I use this medium I will make base medium using acrylic gel and cera colla 1:1 and put it in a tube. With that and my dry pigments it should be fun to paint with.

I haven't painted using ammonia yet, this medium uses both water and ammonia like oil paint uses turpentine and a oil additive like wax, mastic or copal. Ammonia is a key ingredient when painting with cera colla and is probably useful with acrylic cera colla.

Ammonia is mixed with acrylics to store and stop mold, so ammonia will probably be key in this new medium also.

http://www.realcolorwheel.com/ceracolla.htm

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 8:57am

EvelynT   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
U.K., United_Kingdom

I'm looking forward to making some wax emulsion soon and adding acrylic - it'll be interesting to speculate if the mix is stable long term. I've forgotten my chemistry - perhaps mixing the wax with water will mean it's then compatible with the water based acrylic? Evelyn T

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 10:07pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I shot the picture mixing Golden acrylic Green Gold and cara colla. There is 100% cara colla, 100% acrylic, 75% cara colla mixed with 25% acrlic, and 50/50.
I waited a day for it to dry because that's a knife blob of acrylic and cara colla. The next day I scratched everything. Cara colla is soft while acrylic is stays pliable but will not scratch as easily. If there would be any advantage to mixing the two it would be making the cara colla less likely to scratch, it didn't.

So.. while the 50/50 mix it did make it a little tougher and a little more glossy, the painting and handleing quality was the same.

Just to make sure about the final hardness and scratchability of the mix, I'll let it set for a month and scratch it again.

IP Logged

Oct 11th, 2006 at 7:23pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Evelyn T wrote:

> I was DELIGHTED to read your comprehensive article as I'm a student experimenting with encaustics and wax emulsion. I read somewhere that the emulsion can be mixed with acrylics - have you any comment? Evelyn T.(UK)

Hi Evelyn,

Well, nothing like a smile first thing in the morning.
I'm sure it would mix with acrylics while it was wet. It might even be more durable when dry. There is only one way to find out.

I think the end result would be in the same category as water based oil paint, on the bottom of my list. But... some people like it and it should be permanent.

So I tried it. One mix was 50/50 one was 75% cera colla 25% acrylic. I didn't paint a full on painting but I did use both a brush and a palette knife.

I thought this was an interesting question so I put it on my forum in the Cara Colla section. I'll shoot a picture of the results and post it there later.

IP Logged