Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
New tempera for 2007 (Read 7631 times)
Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:23am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Thanks Paul, I've been painting mostly with acrylic and oils for the past 5 years, same basic pigments, different medium. Now that I have a permanent place to live I'll get back into tempera.
Here are the painting I have been working on lately, 2012.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/end.htm
How about you?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2007 at 2:55pm

PaulC   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
USA

HI- I think your paintings are very interesting.
When using so much of one color it can be a good idea to think about using it's (the orange ranges) complimentary color  (blue to violets) in shadows or background or even bringing a little very  light blue or violet blue into the foreground, anything to relieve the orange, but at the same time you will find that the orange becomes stronger and more vibrant therefore more interesting.  A blue or violet drybrushed under the orange .  I love dry brushing .
Don't think I am trying to dis your painting, I am not, but often people do not think enough about using complimentary colors for strength and to heighten the main color.  Paul C. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 11:49am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I got the Notify of Replies working by clicking the box.
Next I have to finish matching colored pencils to the RCW, And print 2 new giclees, And my taxes, And a color wheel video. Some where in there I want to paint.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 4:25am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist
Folsom, USA, CA, California

Doing a painting sounds great, only I wish I were coming in Aug 07 instead of waiting until 2008. My first trip to the islands was in '05 to Oahu, I did 4 - 8" x 10" in oil, it was fun except fighting the wind.....of course I'd rather deal with the wind than my "real work".  Smiley      Rich

Too much art is barely enough!!!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 9:07pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Rich,
I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, for some reason I'm not getting email notices. I'll try to change that. It seems like the notification part turned off by itself...
Thanks for listing your supplies and the discription of how you work.
It would be great to meet in August, I know we will get at least one painting done while you are here.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 8:00am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 7:59am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 7:59am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

3 more to upload...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 7:57am

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

Wow Don thanks so much, I just paint, paint, paint these days trying to upgrade my skill level, I am feeling really connected with what I am doing.

As far as my method, I paint from life it makes all the difference. I use traditional RS glue and gesso for my boards, I soak them in a glue bath of just glue and water, then apply at least 3 coats of RS gesso, scrape it down with a razor blade and light sand with 300 grit paper. My medium is yolk:water at 1:1, and for my pigments I use the ones you recommend, except that I am using the XLS version from Kremer of the PB 15:3, I do add a little Ult Blue as you mentioned before if I need to darken a blue like you'll see in some of the next few I am posting.

Now for my white...I read that flake white is very good to work with, I haven't tried it yet and I read that zinc white by itself can be problematic, I personally like zinc white at first but then switch to a mix of Titanium white:Zinc White at 2:1.

For these I used all organic eggs, some people say it really does make a difference but I'm not sure.

I paint light to dark but I'm not timid about going back to light as needed and then knock it back down again if it is too stark. For these 5 paintings here, they are all 6" x 6" and painted in about 3 hours each. 

BTW we are making a family trip to Maui in August of '08 for 2 weeks, if you have time I'd like to meet somewhere for a Kona coffee drinking contest.  =)  Rich

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 1:37am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Rich, you are a true master. I have never seen anyone else able to work the shadows like you. Or work the primaries like you either.
Don

I don't enter juried shows because the judges can't paint as well as I. You would make a great judge.

For the record.. Would you talk a little more about the pigments and the medium, please. I would like to hear everything.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 10:41pm

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

PMint-23-WC.jpg (83 KB | )
PMint-23-WC.jpg

IP Logged

Feb 15th, 2007 at 10:40pm

RichL   Offline
Hello Artist

Hi Don: Here are two 6" x 6" tempera on board (of course) and using your magic primary colors.  Rich

Tube-22-WC.jpg (86 KB | )
Tube-22-WC.jpg

IP Logged