Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Chroma Archival oils. (Read 3451 times)
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 5:24am

Rency   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Color is everything!
CA

Thank you Don.
I appreciate it.

Rency

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 5:14am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Rency

R: I am a little bit concerned knowing that all oil paints yellow. Now I am asking myself these questions...Is this big enough to not make paintings in oil at all ? ( it would be a sad thing to not be able to paint in oils..i really like them.)"

There are two mediums that equal the ease of blending and reworking as with oil with no yellowing, pastels on board and watercolor which now have a paper gesso, so it can be applied to a hard surface like pastels.

This doesn't include the best of all media, fresco, which is fragile. It's a real pleasure making any new color just by going over the old. You have only six hours from start to finish.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/fresco.htm
It would be a shame not to mention cara colla, water wax that dries to insoluble wax. It's also fragil, while it's wet you can blend anything, ammonia is the blending medium, water is the eraser back to white.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/ceracolla.htm

"Do all colors in oil paintings yellow or it just the white areas in a painting ?"
All oil yellows, a little yellows a little, a lot yellows a lot.

"How long does it take approximately for the oil paints to yellow ?"
I've passed 25 years and don't notice yellowing yet. I heard it takes fifty years.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:08am

Rency   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Color is everything!
CA

Hello Don,

thank you so so much for taking the time to reply.
in just two days through this forum i learnt a lot.
I appreciate all your help.

I am using a medium of 3 part Safflower oil + 1 part Clove oil as the medium, so that my paint stays wet for a long time on the pallette and on the support...because i do not do layers in oils but only in acrylics. Just thought of sharing this with you and I am interested to hear any opinions you have about it. Is it safe for the painting to do this and what would be the effects on the archivability.

I am a littlebit concerned knowing that all oil paints yellow. Now I am asking myself these questions...Is this big enough to not make paintings in oil at all ? ( it would be a sad thing to not be able to paint in oils..i really like them.)
Do all colors in oil paintings yellow or it just the white areas in a painting ?
How long does it take approximately for the oil paints to yellow ?

With this one I am going to give you a break from my questions.

I won't say that i understand what you went through and what you spent(not talking about just money) to gain all these knowledge you have. So many paintings...many success..many failures...struggles...pain...time that never comes back...so many tests..trials and errors...so many other things. And you are giving me(us) this in few minutes over the internet for free. I want to let you know that i appreciate it and value it. Thank you very much for all your contribution to art and artists.

Rency

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 10:53pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

R) Do you think that their claim  - the chroma archival oils won't crack because of the kind of binder they use in it- is valid ?
D) Umber is the fastest drying color, the one that does most of the cracking. Painting mostly with 3 transparent primaries lately I have not needed to use umbers. Will alkaloids stop the cracking because of its plasticizing properties? I'm thinking yes. Stand oil has non-cracking qualities also.

R) Will Chroma archival oils also yellow overtime?
D) All oils yellow over time.

R) Is there anyway you know to overcome the issues of oils yellowing?
D) No.
I did a test with linseed oil on my van windshield in Lahaina (means burning sun) and within a month it had dried, flaked and came off. By itself linseed has no sticking power.You need a balsom to make it stick.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/mediatable.htm

A bottle of Gamlin's alkyd dried yellow in the closed bottle. That surprised me. I have a picture of it on my site somewhere.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 4:26pm

Rency   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Color is everything!
CA

I also really like this oils. I just started using them. Do you think that their claim  - the chroma archival oils won't crack because of the kind of binder they use in it- is valid ? Will Chroma archival oils also yellow overtime ?
Is there anyway you know to overcome the issues of oils yellowing ?

I am using a medium of 3 part Safflower oil + 1 part Clove oil as the medium, so that my paint stays wet for a long time on the pallette and on the support...because i do not do layers in oils but only in acrylics. Just thought of sharing this with you and I am interested to hear any opinions you have about it.

Again thank you for the reply.
I appreciate your input.

rency

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 4:13am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I went to the link and read the page. I love the paint!
Back on 5-20-94 I did a couple of paintings with it, I had some canvas and a 4x8 sheet of plywood. This painting was on a 5x4, 20 yards away I did a 3x4, both with Archival oils. This is painting #595, I printed them with my printer plotter. Back in '94, Archival had 3 mediums, a light, medium and heavy. I think I used the light. The gel they talk about didn't exist back then, I think they were the first to use alkyd oil. This was a break from my acrylics.

I still havent reached painting #1000 yet, maybe this year. I looked at the bottom right corner to get the date and a tip came to mind. Always leave some white color, paint it in if you haven't already painted the whole surface gesso white already, all oil yellows so in oils use as little as I can get away with.

Here's the page for that painting. I don't mention the Archival oil medium, I guess I should have, it was big that day.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/25.htm

It was my fault I didn't get a notification email, just recently I updated the forum, this was one of my errors, thanks for pointing out that I had not answered your post. I just found the second image done at that location.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/26.htm

IP Logged

Apr 26th, 2013 at 6:17pm

Rency   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Color is everything!
CA

Please take a little bit time to read about these oil paints. Here is the link.

http://www.chromaonline.com/products/au/archival_oils/using_archival#freedom

Please share your thoughts on this...it will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Rency

IP Logged