Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Introduction (Read 15222 times)
Reply #39 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:52pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Thanks for posting Pierre,
I'm looking for your next post.
Try painting a 3 color = full color wheel.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/3colors.htm
Don

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 3:17pm

PierreR   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
Montreal, Canada, QC, Quebec

Hi,
This is my first post of many more. My name is Pierre, I am from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I've been painting for about 2 years now, I developped this hobby because I needed to have something to do. I am off work due to a very bad back and chronic pain that is with me 24/7, it never let's up. I am glad to have found this hobby because it fills my days with creativity and it takes my mind off my health.
I tried pencil drawing, then watercolors and finally acrylics, I like working with acrylics because it dries rapidly, sometimes too quick, and it is not as expensive as oils. I've been in martial arts for many years so my paintings are chinese oriented even though the asians mainly work with inks and watercolors, I adapted with acrylics.
I am glad to have found this forum, by accident really, because I was searching for a certain color that directed me to this site.
So everyone have a great day.
Pierre

IP Logged

Reply #37 - May 9th, 2008 at 11:28am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Great, you did everything right, including checking the Notify of Replies box. Now you can go back and edit that post. Tell what kind of beads you used.

Wow, you did the editing right also. You're good at this! Good at making jewelry also. I have a favorite combination, rubies, emeralds and diamonds.

Gold is the element that fires magenta on glass.
Copper is the element that has a red crystal.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - May 9th, 2008 at 9:33am

Julia_Duodo   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist

Hi I don't do any painting but love scribbling( I'm good at that somehow). I started designing beads a couple of years ago as a hobby.  I had the challenge of combining colours and thus in my quest to learn did loads of browsing till I chanced on your site.  
Learning the theory and using the colour wheel has helped me combine colours in designing intriguing pieces that are a pleasure to behold.  I have done some colour mixing I would not have dared without the colour wheel.
I feel a bit out of my league since I don't paint but design jewelery.  But thanks for the opportunity to be
able to see and pick inspirations from this forum.
I have attached my latest piece for a customer for her engagement.  
The beads used here are glass pearls, with rhinetone roundelles and a couple of pewter spacers all adding to the elegance. I call it 'Ayeforo' meaning the bride in my language ( Akan). This was requested by a customer for her Ghanaaian Traditional marriage rite. It is 16inches in length.  
Thanks for the forum.  I feel so great seeing my piece here. Its so exciting.

Julia Duodo  

DSCF0569.JPG (110 KB | )
DSCF0569.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 7:40pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I would really like to see one of your landscapes done on location.
I clicked the "Notify of Replies" for you, that's why you got the email notice.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 11:31am

Ann_Ontario   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist

Hi Don,  it depends on what I need the dark colour for, as to what colours I use. I use dark green, dark brown, navy, crimson or purple. Say if I'm doing a forest scene, for my darkest darks, I will mix green, brown and navy together, unless I have purple in the compositon, then I will use it instead of navy, or might add a bit of navy to it, if it needs to be even darker.

I paint wildlife and landscapes from my area mainly. I have never a done still life, other than flowers when I first started painting (from an instruction book), but after doing my first landscape, that was it, I didn't want to do flowers any more.
Ann

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 5:38am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Ann,

You said that you mixed all your darks, I love to hear that.. 

I found transparent primaries make the darkest darks, what colors do use?

I don't use the words plein air much, it's too confusing. 
I paint from life, my painting location is where I am.

Do you do any live home/studio work? 
I like still lifes, it not what you paint it's how you paint it I always say.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 4:07am

Ann_Ontario   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist

Hiya, just joined today.
I don't use black, but I certainly use photographs for refs. I live in a very cold area in winter, and am deathly afraid of bees and wasps in the summer. I wouldn't get much plein air  painting done at all, unless I sat in my car with my heat or AC on. I just can't do it.
I paint landscapes, wildlife from this area (Ontario, Canada) and have done a few animal portraits.

Are you SO stuck on plein air? If so, I guess this counts me out of the forums then, because you won't convince me to paint outside.
I was looking forward to being a member.
Ann

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 7:09pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi MichaelS,
Thank you for your kind words.
Painting on location means painting from life. On a raining day, paint inside. Set up a still life.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/wckeihistilllifes.htm
The idea is to learn from nature.
It's nice to have you in the forum and I'm looking forward to seeing your first picture posting.
DonJ

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 7:00pm

MichaelS   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist

Hello Don,
First let me say what I saw of you work is amazing. I was taken back by the depth of your discussions on color and theory, and quite intimidated by my ignorance.

I don't have the computer savy to understand all the comands of the technology either at this paint.

I take care of an elderly women so working on location for me is difficult at this point. I've only worked from pictures at this point and my background painting as a house painter and teaching myself. I'll try to do something locally as far as going on location.

I'm interested in your color wheel theory with your extensive knowledge and extensive time in the field.
I look forward to studying all this wisdom on your website.
Thank You, MichaelS

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 2:04am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Brian,

That should be your first question! "How do the opposite colors, yellow and blue, mix into black?" This is how nature does it.

The pigment spectrum, the light spectrum in computers, the light spectrum in prisms and the light spectrum of transparent crystal colors made by color elements are all tightly related.

LEAD MAKES TWO OPPOSITE COLOR CRYSTALS ONLY, BLUE AND YELLOW

This color wheel is based on crystals, pigments are crushed crystals or chemicals relating to the colored elements. Crystals show the full range of each color. Yellow darkens to brown before it becomes black with one element, as in the titanium Rutile crystal. Titanium is a centering element that goes from Yellow to Orange, then Red to Brown and Brown to Blue in the Rutile crystal.

WAVELLITE, Al3[PO4]2[OH,F]3.5H2O, H3.5, SG-2.36, orthorhombic crystal system, acicular, like the needles of Rutile suspended in clear crystal, only these needle crystals form a dense rocklike mass.
ALUMINUM, yellow, brown, blue, centering standard, transparent. Aluminum really does it big this time, each needle starts at the center radiating outward, concentrical ringed bands form around the center, each band ending as a cleavage line, twenty or so bands per complete needle crystal. The band itself can change from clear transparent to opaque white while at the center, the second band range is transparent yellow crystal, then brown, then blue. From brown to blue, the crystal can change into an aggregate and lose it's crystal properties.
THIS MINERAL PHOSPHATE SHOWS THE CENTERING OF YELLOW TO BROWN AND BROWN TO BLUE, LIKE MY REAL COLOR WHEEL FOR PIGMENTS.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/crystal.htm#63,%20WAVELLITE,
There are many crystal color examples on that link.

Brown lightens to yellow, yellow darkens to brown, like a banana or the Wavellite crystal. The computer colors get dark by subtracting light, in that respect it's different then pigments.
Opaque pigments choose one of the many colors of yellow available, yellow, Naples yellow, yellow ocher, brown ocher.

1705, COLOR,
Bister was a transparent yellow to brown, dual-tone color. It was made from charred beechwood and was mainly a water-color pigment.

Some transparent modern chemical pigments go from a light brown to yellow, Original and synthic Indian Yellow Br/s does it.

What I'm saying is, opaque brown and yellow are two parts of the same color as far as my color wheel or crystals are concerned. Mix dark yellow (brown) with ultramarine blue and you get a perfect dark neutral.

Don

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 11:07am

BrianTC   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Happy Painting
Redhill, Great_Britain, europe, 181, 239

Hi Don,
Having just found your web site I can't wait to learn more about your colour theory.
I teach oil colours to a small group of enthusiasts in the UK. Having been involved with painting for 30 years; the traditional theory of using six primary colours, using complimentaries to darken an individual colour is quite understandable.
I find the RCW chart intriguing; it shows yellow oposite Ultramarine Blue. Mixing these two colours normally produces green? How do you achieve brown by using these two colours?
If I live to be 120 years old, there will still be more to learn about the art of painting.
Thank you for sharing your interesting theories.
BrianTC

IP Logged

Reply #27 - May 26th, 2005 at 6:11pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Thanks Larry, painting for 30 years found this color wheel. First I found it in nature painting, then, to my surprise, crystals proved that elements follow the same paths to dark that the RCW does. I really got into crystals after that.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - May 26th, 2005 at 1:20pm

Larry_B   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I started painting around ten years ago, using inks and oils on wood. I found your web site, and i'm delighted to fine your theory on color.
Later; Larry

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 5:21am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Sam,
Here is the start of my fresco section, click it.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/fresco.htm
Don

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 3:53am

SamC   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Don,
I don't really belong here - I'm not a painter.  I work with venetian stucco and met a Venetian who refered to what I do as "intonaco".  By googling intonaco I found your site which is very interesting.  Will just be browsing.  Many thanks -Sam Colt

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 6:10pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Chris,
Paint still lifes while indoors, don't copy photos.
Nature is the best teacher, photographs won't help you at all but they will waste you're time.
It is all about learning to get better.
Don

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 1:58am

ChrisS   Offline
YaBB Newbies
USA, WI, Wisconsin

Hi my name is Chris and I am a new member. I paint in transparent watercolor. I never use black paint. I paint in plein air when I can, but that is not always possible in Wisconsin especially during the winter. So, I do use photos for reference, but always my own.

Chris, painting in Wisconsin, wishing I was in Maui.
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 7:47am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for joining, I hope you can get used to not using black. There isn't a color to be made that can't be made not using black.
Upload one of your recent works in the appropriate media that doesn't use black, or your next one if you don't have any Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 3:14am

sharonf   Offline
YaBB Newbies
USA

Hi,
I am a painter with a strong color emphasis. I just bought a French easel and hope to be painting outside again soon. I live in beautiful Arizona where there is much to paint (and so little time!!!)

Sharon

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Aug 23rd, 2004 at 8:35am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Nature is perfect, you are perfect, expect perfection, you can see what you want to see.
To match what you see to pigments you must practice making those colors with just the primaries.
Go Here.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/3colors.htm
If you become a member you will get an email reply about new posts.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Aug 23rd, 2004 at 6:36am
Lennie Jo Barnes   Guest

Smiley Hi!

I'm new to this forum. I am starting to teach a young class in color theory. I know I will learn a lot myself. Do you use a view finder to narrow  down the colors you see in nature?

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 3:51am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Pat, Hi Guest,
Pat, I'm happy you joined, hope to see your location work soon.
Guest... Hi

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 9:17am

Pat   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe

Hi

I am delighted to have found this Forum.  I have just started painting in oils, love it, but am really in kindergarden stage.

Regards
Pat

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 6:02pm
Site Admin   Guest

hi

avatar-4.gif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 9:55am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Colleen,
Thanks for joining, you know this is painting on location and I'm looking forward to seeing your work.
Don

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 8:56am

Colleen   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe, africa, 340, 330

Hi,
I am a Mostly...Wildlife painter...I use oil paint..Mostly..although I also have used Watercolour, Pastels...At one stage mostly Graphite...
I am really Delighted to have found this Forum.
Regards

Colleen

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 8:30am

KeithH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
England, United_Kingdom

Hi

I have enjoyed reading your painting tips  and wish to join your Group (I assume it is free?)

I have just restarted painting with palette knives after 20 years and need some help, so the more I practice and read the better

Best Wishes from

Keith Harris

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2003 at 12:11am

BarbC   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Orlando, USA, FL, Florida

Admin wrote on Dec 16th, 2003 at 7:08am:
Hello Barb,
Thanks for joining.
I want see your first attemps and attempt to get you good.
Unless your good already.. The main thing is to use colors correctly, opposit colors to make darks, not adding black.
Don

Thanks Don.....lol Probably will have to wait till after the holidays though, but I do plan on getting out and painting.....tired of painting in the studio......thanks again can't wait.....

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2003 at 7:08am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hello Barb,
Thanks for joining.
I want see your first attemps and attempt to get you good.
Unless your good already.. The main thing is to use colors correctly, opposit colors to make darks, not adding black.
Don

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2003 at 2:24am

BarbC   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Orlando, USA, FL, Florida

Hi my name is Barb and i paint in watercolour. Haven't done any plein aire as of yet, really would love to. Thought if i joined your group that i might finally get up the nerve to give plein aire a try. Look forward to joining in with everyone here.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2003 at 7:13pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Jeannette,
Thanks for joining, I hope to see a lot of your postings and some paintings of the Grand Canyon.
Remember, don't show work using black pigment.
Add your pin in the Members Map in the Navigation Bar at the top of each page.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2003 at 6:55pm

JeannetteG   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

My name is Jeannette. I live in Henderson, Nevada just a few miles from Lake Meade and Hoover Dam. I am only 2-3 driving hours from the Grand Canyon so painting there is just a day trip for me.  I moved here 3 years ago from New York so that I can persue my art in the Southwest area. Also, because the cost of living is much lower here. The New York taxes were killing me!

I start off drawing quick sketches and take a lot of photographs. Then I create studies using watered down acrylic paints. If I have time, depending on the light, I will create an acrylic underpainting on the actual canvas that I will use for the final painting.  I always finish a painting at home using oils.

BTW, I never exhibited or sold anything. I've been painting as a hobby for 10 years. Three years ago, when I retired and moved, I really started getting serious. I have a hard time giving away my paintings even to close friends and family and can't even imagine selling any.  At least I can 'visit' the ones  did give away.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 1:41am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Anne,

Thanks for introducing yourself.

Put your pin in the Member Map and edit your Profile if you will, they are on the top Navigation Bar.
I'm looking forward to seeing your first paintng post.
Make the picture 72 ppi and 500 pixels wide, save it at a medium quality.
Here is how to name it to fit in with our files. All lower case and numbers, 22 max.
annenameofimage102603.jpg
The Browse button will open your computer for you to choose and image to upload.

Thanks for joining,
Don

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 12:48am
AnnC   Ex Member

Hi,
    The first letter of my last name is "C".. a little about myself:
    I started painting in oils about 30 years ago.  However, "life happened," and I didn't do much painting for quite a number of years.  Then about 4 years ago I began Decorative painting.  Now I am getting serious about my artwork.  I'm studying as much as I can about color theory and various painting techniques and types of painting:  acrylics and watercolors.  But mostly acrylics right now.
    I thought my landscape painting skills would be like riding a bicycle, and that I would just be able to "hop back on."  But it hasn't worked that way for me, so I'm having to re-learn a lot of things... almost like starting from scratch.
    I discovered your web site, and I am thrilled!  There is a wealth of information, and I know you must have spent so much time and energy developing the site... not to mention your excellent painting examples on the site.  Thank you for all your hard work.
    So that's a little about me. 
    Sincerely ~ Anne

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2003 at 5:15am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Karen,
It looks like you did everything right. Welcome!
I want to see your work. No black pigment and no coping photos please.
Can you open a new thread in a medium you want to post in. Or I can help you.
Don

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2003 at 3:27am

KarenD   Offline
YaBB Newbies
USA

Greetings from a new member.  I look forward to participating in this forum.
Smileyfrom the Olympic Peninsula, KarenD

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2003 at 6:58am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Thanks for joining the forum.

To make the color letters work, place your text between the
two sets of brackets.[] [/]
. The brackets with the / in it is the last set of brackets. The slash '/ ' means 'end of'.

To see other's work..
When you first arrived on the site, just below Introduction are all the painting media used. So far. Artists show their work according to their medium.

Click on each catagory and click the check box that you want to be notified of new paintings or comments in that catagory. That will keep you up to date.

PS You can modify your message after you post it, if you want to.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2003 at 4:20am

Yvonne   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Click your profile to
change this Yvonne.

Just delighted to find this website ...have to become  a plein air painter now in order to participate. where do i find posts of other artists work, Don. Just wanted to add one post against my name
thanx
Yvonne Smiley

is 11.20 pm on Sept23rd in Ontario,Canada...is Hawaii ahead of us? and by how  many hours?

IP Logged

Sep 17th, 2003 at 10:17am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hello,

Thanks for joining Painting on Location Forum. I look forward to seeing your next painting posted. Don Jusko
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/colorwheel.htm

To add your latest painting done location just choose a medium catagory from the main page.
Use your name and picture name as the 'Start New Topic'. You can upload your image from your computer by 'Browsing' for it.

The ideal way to name your image on your computer is this, namepicturename.jpg. The best sizes are from 400 pixels wide to 900 pixels wide, at 72dpi

You can reply and comment to any topic and get notified by E-mail if you check it's Check box 'Notify of Replies'.

Aloha,
Don

Introduce you're self if you will, I will read it.

IP Logged