Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Quick watercolor study, feedback please (Read 2206 times)
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 8:59am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Don't use white in watercolors.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 2:58am

Sharon   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Suddenly possessed by
The Muse!
Derry, USA, usa, 516, 77, NH, New_Hampshire

Good grief - no one's ever suggested clothespins!  That's a GREAT idea!
There is no white added to the picture in watercolor or any other medium -  the white that's there is just white space that was left unpainted.  I worked the sky wet on wet but didn't do a wash over the whole sky but instead left areas untouched by the water to preserve the white in the clouds.
Do you recommend using white?  The only white I've found in watercolors here is Chinese White and I find it to be sort of greenish, plus it makes the colors opaque or muddy rather than transparent.

Sharon&&Visit my website to see what's new!&&http://www.sharonallen.us
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2004 at 10:09pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I use 300# paper so I don't have to tape it down in small sizes, it won't buckle. I like to move the paper around and control the water bead. In large sizes I can hold it down with clothes pins.
Your background colors change with the addition of three colors. 1. The local color of the object as it is in the foreground. 2. A combination of green and purple, a split complementary that has the blue cast as in the background. 3. Water or white in other mediums beside watercolor.

In the background mountains I notice you following a good rule, it's drkest next to the light and lightest next to the dark.

In the foreground and midground I see too many recognizable dots as patterns.

IP Logged

Jan 25th, 2004 at 3:14pm

Sharon   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Suddenly possessed by
The Muse!
Derry, USA, usa, 516, 77, NH, New_Hampshire

This is a page from my Field Book with a quick watercolor study that I did on location back in the Fall.  The location is Pemigewasset Overlook at the top of the Kancamagus Pass in the White Mountains of NH, elevation somewhere above 3000 ft.  Even though it was early October the temp was below 30F and WINDY.  Total painting time was only about 20 minutes before we had to run to the car for shelter and get the heater on!
I like the FEEL of this study well enough that I've considered framing it even in its present state.  I ultimately worked up a small (8x10) acrylic from it (which I won't post because I also used my reference photos to complete it) but I'm wondering if someone could offer advice/pointers on how I might be more efficient and have a quick study like this be closer to a viable finished piece?
No comments on the blue painters tape, please - I know white is more preferable but it was unavailable (awaiting shipment) at any of my local stores and it was either buy the blue or not go out painting!
Thanks!
Sharon

pemistudysm.jpg (35 KB | )
pemistudysm.jpg

Sharon&&Visit my website to see what's new!&&http://www.sharonallen.us
IP Logged