Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Palette Knife oils (Read 2502 times)
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 4:55am

SeriG   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Toronto, Canada, ON, Ontario

Keeping the knife vertical throughout the painting, parallel strokes side by side, creates a kinetic effect which adds optical complexity to your subject matter, as in say, a garden or overgrown plant themed scenario...

Consistency of knife stroke, is the same theoretically as brush strokes- think Van Gogh's fields- colours are delineated with each pat, not spread in flat areas (knives are great to curb the instinct to draw lines and then fill them in with colours)...

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 7:19am

Bob_Abrahams   Offline
I LOVE TO PAINT OUTDOORS
Perth, Australia, australia, 307, 303

Keith

The tools I use include bristle brushes, soft  brushes, even an old distorted  1" hardware brush, a range of knives, sticks, wiping cloth, wire, and fingers.

In my opinion the use of painting tools is not a formal process that can be learned from others.  We artists learn by doing, eg trial and error. That is what makes it such fun 

Please have a look at the texture in the recent painting on this site

Warm regards &&Bob &&Australia
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 4:53pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Use a 2.5 trowle shaped rounded point knife. It will do everything.

IP Logged

Jan 28th, 2004 at 8:57pm

KeithH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
England, United_Kingdom

I am not here to display my work (such as it is) but ask for help. Are they some guidelines as to the styles of stroke a palette knife can make on canvas? I have several knives but other than trial an error, I still wonder if they each have a certain effect when used.

I study Howard Behrens work and he must use certain knives for certain effects, but which?

IP Logged