Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
BlairP St. Tropez Boats (Read 7737 times)
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 7:52am
Bob Abrahams   Guest

I do not know what to say about the flag in the centre forground. It seems to work 
Bob

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 7:23am
Bob Abrahams   Guest

I really like the perspective or forshortening of the hull and boom, pushed almost to distortion.

The deep shadows on the surface of the water and under the boat pull the whole composition together. The figures are loose but shown in sufficient detail, are located well over to one side so as not dominate.

It is a great painting and quite large for such a compsition. It must have considerable impact on the viewers

Cheers
Bob
Australia

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 7:10am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I love his quick brush. See a color an put it down.
Congradulations on your many sales. I'll bet you bought a nice bottle of wine to celabrate.
I'm still painting frescos. I'm hooked.

IP Logged

Oct 25th, 2004 at 7:04am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

We have been traveling the past three weeks.  We went to the south of France to look at a project in Monaco for a company we represent, and spent a few extra days on either end painting in Provence.

After a single day in Paris to catch up on mail and laundry, we then boarded the plane for America.   At the High Point Furniture market, we sold more than thirty-five of our paintings (all that were displayed).

In France, we stayed at a friend’s house in the hills behind Cannes.  One hundred and twenty-three hairpin turns later you’re there (not mentioning the thousand foot drop off along the narrow roads).   I painted about ten pictures at the house, in anticipation of our upcoming show in December.  Blair painted a half dozen.  Lots of turquoise and pink.

The furniture market was slow this year.  Parking places were easy to find.   Despite a sinking dollar ($1.26 buys 1 Euro, as I write), business isn’t any better in France.  It seems like everyone is waiting until after the election.  We had many requests for campaign buttons from friends in Paris.

Provence is a different place in the fall.  During the summer, it’s wall-to-wall tourists; blankets lie edge-to-edge at the beach.  On October 10, we were the only bathers in the seventy degree Mediterranean at La Napoule.   Sun shining overhead, we snapped photos of the old chateau at the water’s edge.

High Point is a unique place in North Carolina.  Residents of the area host visitors from all over the world.   We have developed a number of friendships over the years we’ve been going there.  We catch up on what’s new and laugh as we eat pimento-cheese spread on crackers. 

We visited St. Tropez for the first time, and a terrific gallery in nearby Gasson.   Huge wooden sailboats sit in the harbor.  Blair painted one for this week’s Artnotes.

We abandoned North Carolina after two days to visit Virginia Beach.  When I see the Atlantic I want to shout “I'm home”.  We found a marine gallery that is going to show our paintings – six pieces of our work have been chosen.  We had them framed today.

At a great Italian restaurant in Virginia Beach, we could sneak a peak at the baseball game.  Over a veal chop and salad, we watched the Red Sox win.  They play baseball like life: making decisions; doing the right thing, or not; running home amidst the shouts of the crowd.   Fans adore them, whether they win or lose, home or away.

Laurie (text) and Blair (painting) Pessemier
St. Tropez – oil on linen, 18 x 24 inches

IP Logged