Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Transparent pigment triad w/ pictures (Read 5417 times)
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 4:42am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Christophe Cardot
Hi Don,
Here's my first RCW with oil on canvas with the 3 primaries...
Cc

Christophe didn't use any black pigment, the colors just show up as black because that's the way computers do it. The colors used were opposition colors. Don

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 7:23am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I got this email today and answered it.

On Nov 13, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Teresa J. wrote:

"Please send, very interesting! I am a student at FIT, NYC, Fine Arts dept. and am doing a short presentation on the RYB painters color wheel vs. the CMYK color wheel."

Ok, let's blow their socks off.
The three painter primary paints and the three printer primary inks are made from the same dry pigments,
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/3colors.htm
and all are transparent colors.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/RCWplotter.htm

"One of the goals is to explain why the primaries are different, what is it about Red, Yellow and Blue that makes it necessary for painters to use them as the primaries."

That's ridicules, red, yellow and blue won't make the colors magenta and cyan. That's a VERY old colorwheel. And no, blue and green will not make cyan as Wet Canvas is saying in their color theory thread.

Sometimes you just have to kick the old king off the throne.

http://www.realcolorwheel.com/final.htm
1800, England, COLOR, Indian Yellow, the best and very permanent transparent yellow was brought to England from India, where it had been used as a pigment for as long as India had cows. The raw product is called Monghyr, magnesium euxanthate natural organic, after a city in Bangal. England made this in oil and kept its ingredients a secret for eighty years. It was in brown to yellow and orange to yellow, two dual-toned colors.
The artist's had it made, a transparent triad palette in tubes for the first time. 1.Transparent dual-toned Indian Yellow. 2.Transparent  Madder Lake, which was in range of  Magenta. Treating Madder Lake in a sulfur acid bath made it "New and Improved" Alizarin in 1826, today it's Alizarin Crimson 1.2 Dinydroxy Anthraqinone, transparent) and 3.Prussian blue 1710, an iron based transparent color close to Cyan. The three mixed into a neutral dark that could be pushed warm or cool.

These artist's painting from 1800 to 1909 made use of this Indian Yellow pigment until it was abruptly removed from access by the maker Winsor Newton; Vigee-LeBrun, David, Friedrich, Ingres, Carot, Delacroix, Rousseau, Millet, Courbet, Whistler, Manet, Monet, Pissarro, Sisley, Renoir, Eakins, Dagas, Cezanne, Seurat, Gauguin, Van Gogh, Sargent, Ostroukhov, Ripin, Serov, Matisse, Vlaminck, Derain, Bellows, Savrasov, Pukirev, Perov, Shishkin, Vasilievich, and Polenove.

The Russians had access to Indian Yellow long after the rest of Europe. Thirteen opaque colors are needed to replace this one transparent color, from Permanent Green Light to Cadmium Red Dark. No one has ever brought these colors back or made a comparable replacement. Synthetic Gamboge, 1950, by Old Holland is the best I've found, it will make a dark triad but a dirty Orange.

So..
Back when alizarin crimson (new, Alizarin Crimson 1.2 Dinydroxy Anthraqinone, transparent) was the best magenta 1826, and Prussian blue 1710 the best cyan,
Indian yellow was not available and the RYB color wheel was king in the Paint Wars.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/final.htm#paint war

1826 to 1909 transparent Yellow, Magenta and Cyan were the primaries but they were not all clean colors.
1909 to 1999 opaque Red, Yellow, and Blue were king because permanent transparent Indian yellow was removed in 1909.
2000 when I made my own acrylic Indian yellow was the official year when I began to celebrate.

(insert by Admin 2013) This was PY150, in 2012 I found a better water soluble pigment through a paint pigment manufacture called Spectrum Colors in NJ. This is called PY100, Tartrazine, a permanent, transparent yellow. I made a white paper, black paper transparency test in 2013 and it is the clear winner. It is the perfect Indian yellow.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/indianyellowtobrownPY153.htm
It's only since about 1950 that we had the permanent transparent primaries in oil, and it's only been about 5 years that we have had transparent yellow in acrylics. PY150 and PY153 dissolve better in oil, PY100 is only water color based.
(end insert)

Today, long live the new king, a pure crystal matching colorwheel that includes the most accurate transparent primary pigments we artists have ever had. Don

Any thoughts/suggestions on this topic would be of great use to me.
Teresa

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 3:30am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Here's the acrylic 3 color RCW.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 1:17am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I just made a tube of acrylic paint with PY153 hue transparent yellow and Opera.
Now I have the complete set in all the media. This Tartrazine yellow isn't available in acrylics yet by any other seller.
I'm happy with the Opera acrylic but not happy with the Opera water color. ShinHan still makes the best.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 5:35am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Here is a RCW painting done with these 3 colors.
Transparent Indian Yellow PY153 from Zecchi.
Transparent Quinacridone Magenta, PR122 from Sennelier.
Transparent Phthalocyanine Blue (cyan) PB15.3 from Senopia.

This copal oil painting was done with my visiting student, Anna. I start all my classes with this discipline first.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 4:00am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I just added to four groups of three transparent pigment paintings done this month.
Two in the "Oil Topic" done with copal medium and 4 in Marogers.
3 in the "w/c Topic" as night paintings on location and one in the Egg Tempera Topic.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 7:00pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

This is a water color painting made from the dry pigments above.
Painting an apple with my color sample card. PR122, PB15.3 and PY153 in water colors, laying down yellow first, then magenta and cyan.

Hooray! My 30 grams of Sennelier's Quinacridone Red, #679, for $55 w/ship arrived. IT IS THE PERFECT TRANSPARENT MAGENTA,  BAR NONE. It's Pigment Index Color Number is PR122. This is the dry pigment magenta you need for frescos and all other media. Only Sennelier has it as dry pigment.

The perfect pure pigment triad is:
Transparent Indian Yellow (warm yellow-brown) PY153 Nickel complex from Zecchi.
Or Transparent Indian Yellow (warm yellow-orange greenish) PG10F Nickel Chalated Azo from Senopia.
Transparent Quinacridone Magenta, PR122 from Sennelier.
Transparent Phthalocyanine Blue (cyan) PB15.3 from Senopia.
Keep this list as close to your heart as I do, it took testing over $2000 worth of pigments to find these gems. At the same time I got a great fresco complete palette.

Here are the transparent yellow chemical pigments.  Indian Yellow can be made with these Chemical Class colors;
-Dioxine Yellow Nickel Complex which makes Nickel Dioxine Yellow Br/s PY153 and Org/s PG10F.
-Disazo, which makes Dairylide Yellow HR70.
-Anthraquinone, which makes Anthrapyrimidine Yellow PY108 and Flavanthrone PY112.
-Tetrachloroindolinone, which makes Isoindolinone Yellow R, a brown/side Indian Yellow.

Using Transparent Yellow.
Indian Yellow is a set of two colors, transparent yellow-orange to yellow PY139, or better PG10F. And transparent yellow-brown to yellow PY153. They both seem to be very, very close. One is a strong yellow to mix with magenta making orange to crimson rose, including bright red, the other is for lower chroma greens and browns. These transparent duel-toned colors mix a lot of greens and reds.

* D.S. New Gamboge,  Duel toned, Nickel Dioxine Yellow, PY153, CI48545. This is really Indian yellow, don't know why they named gamboge.
   * Daniel Smith, Indian Yellow (hue), Duel toned,  Anthrapyrimidine Yellow, Vat Yellow 20, PY108. 68420. duel-toned from yellow to a B/s Raw Sienna hue.
   * Lefranc and Bourgeois, Indian Yellow (Imitation), PY153 - PY152 Nickel Dioxine Yellow Complex,  is a translucent duel-toned yellow-orange mass-tone to cadmium yellow hue under-tone and top-tone. Makes great reds and warm yellows.
   * Grumbacher Indian Yellow Hue, PY1 Arylide Yellow G / PO1 Hansa Orange, translucent, less dual-toned then Nickel Dioxine Yellow.
   * Talens, Indian Yellow, PY110 Isoindolinone, from yellow-orange-ocher to yellow. Makes clean reds and warm yellows.
   * Talens, Gamboge, PY97 Arylide Yellow Fgl, Duel-toned orange-ocher to yellow.
   * Schmincke, Chrome Yellow Deep (not lead chrome), PY83 Diarylide Hr70, from yellow pale to yellow deep duel-tone. Makes clean reds and warm yellows.
   * Sennelier, Yellow Lake, PY83 Diarylide Hr70 plus PY43 Yellow Ocher Iron Oxide. These are the same pigments as in Old Holland's Indian Yellow B/s, oil. Duel-toned translucent.
   * Schmincke, Permanent Yellow Deep, (Indian Yellow Br/s hue), Pr154 Benzimidazolone Yellow H3g plus PY10 Isoindolinone Yellow R. Makes clean reds and yellow-orange yellows.
   * Sennelier, Yellow Lake, PY83 Diarylide Hr70 / PY43 Yellow Ocher, is not transparent so it is not really a Lake (transparent) color. It's translucent because of the addition of Yellow Ocher Oxide.
   * Holbein, Greenish-Yellow, duel-toned, a G/s Indian Yellow.

-Nickel complex yellow, PG10F is a primary transparent compound. It makes Indian Yellow Green side, Indian Yellow PY153 is Indian Yellow Orange side is also a nickel complex. PY108 is Indian yellow Br/s. Duel toned,  Anthrapyrimidine Yellow, Vat Yellow 20,  IN68420. duel-toned from yellow to a B/s Raw Sienna hue.

THESE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT TRANSPARENT YELLOW PIGMENTS since Indian Yellow Original was discontinued in 1900. Not that cadmium opaque yellow or Benzimidazolone translucent yellow should be neglected. Buy your supply while this nickel complex is still availble, 1-6-5

Nickle complex yellow pigments are more transparent and dual-toned.
Painting with a Transparent Triad Palette, all these colors were made with this triad except one ultramarine blue ball which was used to compare the mixed blue with the tube ult blue PB29.

First is transparent Indian yellow Or/s then transparent Indian yellow Br/s

Transparent Triad Colors in 6 round color chips, except for the first ball, opaque ultramarine blue PB29.
Indian yellow O/s ball PY153. Cyan PB15.3 and Indian yellow PY153 make the green color chip sample.
Magenta and cyan made the purple ball, cyan and magenta made the blue ball, Indian yellow and magenta made the red ball.

Oppositions, opaque red PR88 or cad or Thio red PR108, transparent cyan PB15.3. Using each other's color to make a neutral dark shadow.

Oppositions Transparent Magenta PR122, Transparent Green PG35, using each other's color to make a neutral dark shadow.

The black ball was made with this transparent triad. I challange any other combination of transparent pigments to this make a ball as black or as neutral.

Testing for black with PR122, PB15.3 and PY153 on a 14x18 panel, making a very dark painting BUON FRESCO without black pigment.

IP Logged

Oct 26th, 2004 at 11:06pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

For more on crystal and chemical colors that I refer to go here.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/RCWDS.htm

I've been doing a lot of fresco in 3 transparent colors lately.
My transparent triad:
Transparent Indian Yellow (warm yellow-brown, transparent nickel complex) PY153 from Zecchi.
Transparent Quinacridone Red (neutral magenta) PR122 from Sennelier.
Transparent Phthalocyanine Blue (neutral cyan) PB15.3 from Senopia.

IP Logged