Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Visiting from the Dark Side (Read 3138 times)
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 8:01pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Thanks Sharon,
This forum is only about painting on location and not using black pigment.
It's important not to use the incorrect red, yellow and blue colorwheel because the oppositions are incorrect.
Black pigment tends to pall to all colors it is mixed with so it's not used on location.
Thanks for stopping by.
Don

PS
Yes, you can post one of you're paintings using black in this Topic if you want to discuss it.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 1:41am
Sharon Forsmo   Guest

I agree you can mix darks with complements, I teach students how to do just that. But I still like using black. I also use it in watercolor (or neutral tint) to make underpaintings. Not everyone is necessarily trying to duplicate what they see in nature. But your points are well taken.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 12:09am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Sorry Sharon,

There is no color that can be made with black that can not be made with complements and split complements.

I would never mix black's greens, they are too dull and stick out like a sore thumb. Far from wonderful. Ultramarine blue and yellow will make a very simular color if you need it.

Indigo is in that group also. Along with Davie's gray, Paines gray and the rest of them.
As far as maroon is concerned, I can mix the color any time I need it... not that I do.

Colors with black pigment in them do not appear in nature.

If you dissagree, you can post one of your pieces and we can talk about it.
500 pixels wide will do.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 4:45am
Sharon Forsmo   Guest

I'm a colorist and know how to make "darks" without the use of black. but unlike some painters, I do not ban it from my palette. I use it to grey color, to make indigo, to make wonderful earthy greens when mixed with yellow, to make rustic reds by mixing black in. Black has its uses, so once you learn to do without, remember that you can also do "with".

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 2:01am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Madeline,
Show me something you painted on location with out using black. Or is this the direction you want to start in.
Don

IP Logged

Feb 1st, 2005 at 7:10pm

MadOz   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Annoy the Boring
The foothills of Pikes Peak, USA, CO, Colorado

Shocked

Hi all!
I'm Madeline, and I'm pretty much a digital artist (Oh NOES!...), although I still dabble in my oils occasionally.

Good digital art aslo eschews the usage of black, preferring to render texture and colors by using contrasting and complementary tints over a base tone. Don's color wheels and charts are something I've been seeking for quite awhile, and I'm thrilled to have found this place.

I look forward to learning more about effective color use from here, and maybe even being able to contribute something back!

Regards,
Madeline

Life is short, create while you can!
IP Logged