Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Stand-cold-raw-balsom (Read 1234 times)
May 30th, 2005 at 4:27am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Sunday, May 15th, 2005. Jacaranda Oil Paintng.

I started the drawing for a 22x30 painting of my friend Mike's house and jacaranda tonight with a 1 inch w/c flat, in watercolor.

The medium I'm going to use is acrylics. I've never used w/c on acrylic panel before but I got it laid out in an hour.

Tomorrow I will try to wash and lighten all the colors before adding the acrylic. I did catch the evening colors quickly and that's better then just a black and white drawing. The water colors stuck pretty good to the acrylic gesso.

I washed down the painting with water and a sponge but maybe only half of the color came off. That's Ok, I decided on oil, you can make oil paint as thick and opaque as you want. The medium I'm using is stand oil 50%, cold pressed 20%, raw linseed oil 20%, 10% Venetian balsam. That will give it a tough gloss. Very different from the wax and mastic.

The main brush in this lay out is a 1" hog bristle flat and an 1.5 inch hog bristle fan brush to blend with. This is an evening, 5:00 painting. The colors pass very fast about this time, I had to jump around to catch all I could.

Thursday it rained in the afternoon, Friday wasn't much better. This is what it looked like Saturday evening, 5-21-05.

I got the left side tree in, put more magenta in the sunlit side of the trees flowers, the rain made the tree full again.

There is still a lot of work to do on the banana trees on the right.

This evening was good color, I had 15 minutes to get the 6:30 light, at 6:45 sun went behind the West Maui mountains. I feel good that it's finished. Tomorrow I have to be back in Lahaina where I'll work on my 2 Cannons painting.

IP Logged