Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
2 Water Colors #1 (Read 4951 times)
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2005 at 4:46am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

http://www.realcolorwheel.com/jacaranda2nd2005pg2.htm

5-20-05, Jacarandas at the Waldorf School, 15x22 Watercolor, Arches cold pressed.
This makes 3 paintings on the easel at the same time, and 8AM to 10Am, a 10AM to 1PM in the clouds,
and my sunny evening 22x30 painting with 6:00 light.

It was raining in the morning so I started a new cloudy day water color. I worked around the pencil lines, making the patterns without touching the lines, so I could erase them. Once the pencil line is wet and dry, it won't move.

The first day got a lot laid out. I decided to apply the jacaranda groups of flowers in first and work around and to them. This being a transparent water color and all.

Day 2, it rained and I painted, it got cloudy and I painted. Tomorrow will be the bigger brush day, I hope. Bigger is a size #36.

The #9 W/N Series 7 is really the best brush in the world, worth every penny if you paint a lot. Always pull the brush, hold it as upright as possible for tight work, lay it down for stroking, this will wear the side hairs and keep the point longer. I'll bet its a dollar per hair.

Day 2, I tested the very translucent green earth from Tabasalu, Estonia, on this water color. I had no gum arabic with me so I used sugar as the glue after I ground the pigment. A+ so far, now I'll paint into it. Notice how cool the color is in the background trees and how much lighter it dried where there was not much binder in the paint. The middle background trees, opposed to the darker tree on the left with more binder.
Normaly the binder is gum aribic and honey or sugar.

Day 3, I added color to the green earth, finished the school building and added more to the foreground tree. I beefed up the ground where all the fallen flowers are laying. I want to finish it tomorrow, some art supplies arrived in Lahaina that I have to pick up and that's 3 hours away. There is so much to do, I just don't know if I can do it all.

The pigment paints opaque or translucently. Notice in the foliage how a thin layer of green earth has lightened and dulled down the bright ultramarine blue shadow color in the middle short bush trees of the painting. Very nice, I feel you have a winner Andres.

Andres from the green earth mine in Estonia, joined the forum today, 5-30-5. Welcome. Today I'm making some tubes of this pigment in oil, acrylics and water color.

Day 4. Finished, A+ for the translucent green earth.

Not only did I use it in the background trees as the local color, but also to tone down the applied ult blue shadows.

As soon as I finished this one I rushed to Mike's Jacaranda, I have to finish both of them today.

IP Logged

May 30th, 2005 at 4:39am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Tuesday, May 17th, 2005, Water Color.
Jacaranda and Two Cyprus Trees, Day 1, 22x30 water color on Arches Rough, #300

This is an 8:00 to 12:00 painting. First wet the paper.. wait for the sheen and paint until it's dry, then re-wet the paper and again paint until it's dry.

I have to tone down the sky. I should do it under running water with a sponge because after it's dry watercolors won't move easily.

Of all the browsers, Safari is the best for reproducing color on the computer.

Day 2,
Tomorrow I need some big unifying strokes and I may have to remove some colors, I painted too far into the afternoon.

I got on location at 7:00 and started throwing big paint on. I got the early hour colors and now I feel better.

Maybe one more day. I'm getting a lot of the morning colors in, painted around the barbed wire, caught the shadows on the posts. It's still not full of the morning contrasts I want. The next morning I finished.

IP Logged