Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Too thick paint (Read 20931 times)
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 3:29am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Thinning the thick white with Damar and turpentine was a good choice.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 2:37am

KathS   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
Niagara Falls, USA, usa, 447, 91, NY, New_York

Thanks, I made a mix of turp and some light damar and it thinned the flake white perfectly. It makes a good mix with other colors because it has a bit of transparency. I think that is due to the quality of the white-it would be different with another white. Now about those older oil paints that ooze out of the tubes... these are some great old colors that are not around anymore that are an adventure to use. At first I thought I should not use them if the oil was seperated, but then I found new tubes in the art store that were oozing, too. Everyday is a new discovery.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2006 at 1:55am

KathS   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist

Hi Kath,

To thin out your thick paint, add turps. Not oil. Any oil yellows and it already had enough oil.

Don

IP Logged

Jul 15th, 2006 at 1:50am

KathS   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist

I have a large older tube of flake white and it is too thick.  What would be a good mix to thin it. I would make up a jar of this  white with what to make it juicy? I rarely use added oils or turps  etc with my paint, although I do break out Liquin for fine lines and  details. I have Damar, retouching damar and linseed oil.

Oil painting is my 'new' medium and I appreciate any suggestions.  Picture is attached for your viewing pleasure, and thanks for your  website suggestions. I usually work fast, on location, plein air.
Kath

IP Logged