Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Oil done on location (Read 2398 times)
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 10:57pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Kay,

Curves are in Photo Shop, do you have a graphics program? If you don't have one yet email your next image right out of the camera and I adjust it for you and send it back to you to post with.

Ok, you don't have black on your palette! That means you made all your darks from colors. That's good. A couple of colors you have to update to newer and cleaner pigments.

Read the label on your Sap Green, if it's an old tube it may have black in it which will make it too recognizable and hard to disguise from one area to the next. You need a Thalo blue transparent and a better magenta. Quinacridone transparent magenta will do it. And until you have tried transparent Indian yellow you won't know what you are missing.

Don

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 3:03pm

Kay   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
USA, USA, usa, 353, 244, MS, Mississippi

12" X 16" Linen canvas board.
Paints are mostly WN
Sap Green, French Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue, Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Raw Sienna, Terra Rosa, Transoxide Red (Rembrandt), Burnt Umber, Raw Umber,
Cadmium Red Light, Cadmium Red Dark, Alizarin Crimson - a tube of Gamblin & one of WN, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Yellow Dark, Cadmium Orange (Bloxx) and Titanium White.  
This was the second painting I've attempted outside and the brightness of the colors in the landscape continues to overwhelm me -- the sky seems to be SO blue, the grass SO green, etc -- yet when the colors are put down on the canvas they seem (to me) brighter than they should be.  Does that make sense??   However, I don't feel I have the same problem painting still life's in the studio.  It really would be wonderful to accomplish the plein aire techniques since I am not pleased at all with the landscapes done from photos.
Sorry about the size of the picture.  I am not (obivously) very knowledgable about resizing to the correct dpi.  
BTW what is Curves??  Here in Mississippi it is an exercise studio!   Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 11:10am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

The paintings fine, Shooting the painting outdoors is fine, but don't have the sky reflecting off the canvas. Have a dark reflection not a sky reflection.
Use 72 dpi instead of 361.75 and you can view it the size you chose, 4x5. I made one 6x8 at 72dpi and changed it a little in Curves.

Tell me the pigments on your palette and the size please.

IP Logged

Nov 21st, 2007 at 9:51am

Kay   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
USA, USA, usa, 353, 244, MS, Mississippi

Small oil painted over several hours one morning.  It recently sold.

IP Logged