Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
LDJ Acrylic Painting (Read 7067 times)
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 7:21pm

L_Diane_Johnson   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Raleigh, USA, usa, 472, 183, NC, North_Carolina

Don,

You have put a smile on my face Smiley

You really know your stuff (Hint-hint to those of you who know or don't know Don's expertise.)

Thanks for even looking at my article! Yet, yes, it was acrylic. And yes, in Set 3, it would have been easier in oil. However, when you have acrylic (as you know) what you have has to work or you have to substitute, especially when on location.

Ok, if we are around in five years, and if it has not sold, I'll re-shoot the painting, "Brand New Day" and we'll see what happens;)

Thanks again for your candor.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 7:03pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Set 1: Daydream (#2) I guessed right
Set 2: Fields of Gold (#1) I guessed right
Set 3: Brand New Day (#2) I guessed wrong, I thought the sky's reflection would have been easier with oils.

It is very hard to tell the difference even when holding the piece in your hands if you paint flatly like I do. The only sure way is the oil yellowing. It happens, and with oil it can't be avoided, it's noticeable to me in five years time.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 6:01pm

YaBB Newbies

Hi Don, Absolutely acrylic!!

In fact, here is my article on how I do this:

Acrylic Painting: Two Secrets

It addresses how I make acrylic look like oil...rather, how others have said my acrylics look like oils. Put it into an article to test readers how to compare and then do it themselves.:

Some of my pieces have a higher texture than others. This one has a low physical texture yet everyone thinks it's an oil. That's a big problem for me. I can paint tight architectural renderings or loose impressionistically, yet folks just don't believe it is acrylic. It's ok, love to keep 'em guessing.

Thanks for the "never yellow" line...needed that. I have so many people that challenge me on this point. I am confident about acrylics holding up better visually and every other way than oil. But it's a tough putt convincing them. Guess it's a "must see to believe" thing.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 8:29pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Oil or acrylic?
Because I paint without texture I write on the back which medium was used. I can't tell which is which is which by just looking at them.

Acrylics never yellow, paintings painted 30 years ago are as bright today as the day I painted them.

IP Logged

Mar 13th, 2009 at 4:03pm

YaBB Newbies

Another plein air piece. A quick one as the sun was setting. This was on a ridge in Giverny, just yards from Monet's house. Two students and myself, took a walk after dinner and painted and painted!

Beyond Giverny | Acrylic on Linen

IP Logged