Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
3 color painting on location (Read 9109 times)
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 9:15pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Alma,
There sure is no muddy or chalky colors in your work.

Burnt umber is the darkened color for yellow, orange and red colors. You could use raw umber for the dark of yellow. Burnt Sienna and ult. blue will mix a burnt umber hue or a neutral black if you want to cut down on palette colors. I do this when painting portraits and eliminate the umber and black pigments.

Here is my opaque portrait palette.
Red.
Red oxide.
Acrylic warm yellow= O.H. transparent Tartrazine Azo Orange/side PY100 or Isoindolinone PY110.
Acrylic cool yellow= O.H. transparent Nickle Azo Brown - lemon PY150
Oil warm yellow= O.H. Indian yellow Org/s, Dioxine nickel complex PY153 (with isiondolin).
Oil cool yellow= O.H. Indian yellow Brn/s Dioxine nickel complex PY150 (with iron oxide).
Burnt Sienna
Ultramarine Blue
(I found it handy to combine Red oxide and Burnt Sienna as one palette color (flesh) as well as having them as separate colors.)
(Of course the 3 transparent primaries will do the job all by themselves.)

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 1:51pm

AlmaLF   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
USA, usa, 506, 87, MA, Massachusetts

Thanks for your comments, and demonstration on white balance and resizing. Stymied as to how adjust white balance on a pocket Sony camera,  I remembered  the Aperture software on my laptop. It has an easy to use "white balance" feature, as well as an easy method of resizing when exporting.   Thanks also for the link to "tube colors." 
The more I learn, the less I know. 
I was interested in your inclusion of burnt umber as the dark yellow.
I tend to end up with muddly colors a lot of the time.....
Alma

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:46am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Oh boy, we have a winner here! I would love to go painting with you and your group.

Your sense of color is impressive. I'm glad you made an RCW first to see that you could make any color you can see with the 3 transparent primary colors. It looks like you have a good handle on your lineal perspective as well as your aerial perspective.

I found that if I shoot the image painting at 8AM from directly above it lights evenly with no reflections. That's what I do after white balancing the camera when I'm going to make a giclee print.
I found a white area on your painting and "white balanced" on it. Than re-sized it to 800 pixels wide and renamed it,
AlmaLFversion_3-800x647

I did a 3 color water color today. Water color used the same transparent yellow hue but instead of using nickel pigment I made it with Tartrazine pigment. Nickle works best with oil based paint.

IP Logged

Aug 27th, 2011 at 1:01am

AlmaLF   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist
USA, usa, 506, 87, MA, Massachusetts

Hello Don: I have been painting on location using oils for several years...and have tried many yellow/blue/red combinations. (Never really happy.)
Yesterday I painted a rough version of your "real color wheel," and today took the three colors, (magenta, thalo blue, indian yellow, plus white) out on location.  I also tried to remember to incorporate your information of aerial perspective.  It was difficult for this old grandmother, but comments from my painting partners assured me that I was on the right track. "Nice recession," they said. The photo of the "plein air"  painting (wet paint) is attached.

IP Logged