Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
Re: SamanthaL (Read 8313 times)
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:44pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Samantha,
There is a big difference between transparent and translucent.
"I assume that I can choose any four colors from the spectrum to use as my primaries as long as they are translucent?"
Three transparent colors are primaries. Magenta PR122, Cyan PB15 and Yellow PY150 or PY153 in oils or PY100 in watercolors. 

Laurie's palette is: opaque Yellow, transparent Magenta, transparent Purple, transparent Turquoise and opaque white, it's 95% complete. 
There is no pure bright tint of cyan.
There no pure bright blue.
Cyan transparent darkens to blue, in the Iceland Spar, Beryl, Labracorite and Aquamarine crystals.
Only Cyan tints to a bright cyan.
Cobalt Blue darkens to blue and dark blue in the copper element Azurite mineral.
Ultramarine Blue darkens to dark blue.
Turquoise and Purple mix to a Cobalt Blue hue which darkens to blue and dark blue in crystals.

Yellow is transparent, translucent or opaque.
Yellow and Magenta PR122 or Opera PR122+Q10 make Orange, Red, Scarlet.
Magenta transparent is dark magenta, it will tint to a pure bright magenta.

Blue is opposite Yellow. 
Yellow, Magenta and Turquoise will mix a brown. Brown and blue mix neutral dark.
Laurie can make a magenta/green opposition, a turquoise/scarlet opposition and a yellow-brown/blue opposition. She put a lot a thought into this palette.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:42pm

SamanthaL   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist

Thanks for turning on my notifications Don, I didn't know there were any.  And thank you both so much for your response's.  This definitely clears some stuff up for me and gives me some guidelines to follow instead of feeling so lost when it comes to color.   

Laurie, the paintings you and Blair do are great!  Don from looking at the link you sent I assume that I can choose any four colors from the spectrum to use as my primaries as long as they are translucent?  If this is true are there any guidelines to follow when choosing them?  I see that Laurie uses different primaries than you...  ?   Also, I don't have any translucent colors as of now but am wondering if I can mix some gloss fluid medium or some heavy gel medium in with my paint to get the same effect?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:41pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I thought their might have been a problem when Samantha didn't answer my post, so I went into her account and sure enough, she hadn't clicked "Notify of Replies" so I did it for her. 

Hi Laurie, it's good to see you posting. I'm glad to see you helping Samantha out, she is very new to painting and it's good for you to show her how a few transparent colors will mix any color.

Samantha, you should get a post in your mailbox that this message was posted.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:38pm

LaurieP   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

you can see my blog/paintings at www.paintfox.com -- Blair's acrylic paintings, also on blog, only use those colors, too

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:37pm

LaurieP   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I use lemon yellow, primary magenta, pthalo turquoise, dioxyzine purple and titanium white.  Period.  no other colors

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:34pm

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

"When you say this, do you mean to buy the three primary colors in tubes labeled transparent and then make all of the other colors I use in the painting from only these colors? "
Yes
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/3colors.htm
I'm going to work on this page right after I change to a new forum which I'm working on now.
There are transparent yellow tubes of pigment now. There are already transparent magentas PR122 and Cyan PB15, it's the color number that you have to look for on the tube, not so much the brand name.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:27pm

SamanthaL   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Hello Artist

Thank you Don.  I really appreciate your advice.  I'm not ready to get into oil painting just quite yet and will see what I can produce using acrylics.  I've been using a heavy gel medium to make the stems thick just as you said because yes, the acrylics dry too fast to make the stems with a canvas scraper.   

I do have an ignorant question for you.  I'm unsure what you mean by painting with transparent primaries.  I have a lot of acrylic paint but only one tube of a primary color and it's NOT labeled "transparent".  I haven't seen transparent colors in the store to be honest but maybe I've always overlooked them.  When you say this, do you mean to buy the three primary colors in tubes labeled transparent and then make all of the other colors I use in the painting from only these colors?   

Thanks,
Samantha

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 1:44am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

It's not a good idea to use both oil and acrylics on the same painting. Her style uses an oil technique, working into wet paint. Acrylics don't stay wet long enough to do that. Respect your medium. Unless you want the texture to show through don't plan on painting smooth stalks after you are finished with the background. The stalks are going to have to be thicker texture than the background.

If you read up on colorwheels on the web there is a real good chance it's wrong. The Red-yellow-blue colorwheel won't work. The primaries are wrong, the oppositions are wrong, the split-complements are wrong. Three wrongs don't make a right.

I sent you the RCW links.
Try some split-complement colors, like orange, cyan and blue. Your second attempt looks good. Mixing the umber Sienna and cool blue patches of color. There is nothing wrong with your knife handling.

If you would paint with the transparent primaries you could make all colors and push it in any direction you want. Since I want to see more of your work I signed you into this color forum where you can post your work and talk about it. No one here uses black pigment and they will appreciate your mixed dark's.

IP Logged

Jan 14th, 2013 at 1:14am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I love her colors and the texture but am thinking it's oil paint instead of acrylics but I’m unsure. (I’m truly a novice.) She says on her site it’s mixed media of both oil and acrylic but I have no idea how to work with both at the same time. Nonetheless, I'm only using acrylics myself and simply focusing on achieving color harmony right now.  If I can wrap my head around how to choose and mix harmonious colors I'll feel a lot better but I’m getting tired of failing and have no one to turn to but the net for help so...
So, I've tried multiple times at this but my results are pretty horrific.  In my first attempt the blue and brown I used just wasn’t pleasing to the eye and over all looks... nasty.  

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. It’s too busy somehow unlike the example of what I want it to look like.  In my second attempt I read up on color and consulted the color wheel (first time to use it) and mixed my colors accordingly, got about a fourth done with the background and decided it needed to be warmed up a bit (looked too neutral) so I added a little burnt sienna to the lighter color to warm it up some. (In second painting I used ultramarine blue, burnt umber, white, and gold).  The results are not to my liking to say the least.  I will embarrassingly attach photos of each attempt for you to cringe over but maybe seeing my results will help you see what I’m doing wrong. I’ve ripped the canvas off of the first attempt already and will be doing the same to the second soon.

I would really appreciate any advice over how to get results more like what I'm aiming for. I've read online about color theory and learned some but still as soon as I sit down to try again I wonder if I’m going about it the right way at all and expect my results to be either clash or be to boring. Just wondering if I’m missing some pertinent information that would make this easier to understand.
Thanks again.

Samantha

IP Logged