Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
AngelicaV Thread (Read 6942 times)
Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2014 at 9:11am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

AngelicaV) I also wanted to ask if you have used spike of lavender oil for an oil medium?  I have been
researching more on how to use my oils again without the toxic smells. 

D) Spike oil is alcohol. I have never used it but know alcohol does dissolve oil paint. I do use alcohol to remove dried oil paint.
Rubins said oil of turpentine was better. Spike dries slower then turpentine and ill-effects the fatty oils like linseed and dries darker. Don't use it.
You seem to be more worried about the smell than the oil yellowing. Oil yellowing is much worse. Go for the acrylics IMO.

I'll check into why you are not getting notices.
I went in as you and checked, I added to get notifications in the whole thread of any new posts. Maybe I should have done this after I looked where you "Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic.". It was already checked, but maybe that is the one you referred to as being already checked. At any rate, you should get a notice now.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2014 at 7:38am

AngelicaV   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Rock My World With Color!
San Diego, CA

Hi Don....Beautiful!  I can see why you love this color.  It is very different than what appeared on the color chip at the art store.  Thank you for sending this example.  I am looking forward to using it.

I also wanted to ask if you have used spike of lavender oil for an oil medium?  I have been
researching more on how to use my oils again
without the toxic smells. 

I appreciate the information on reading Max Doerner's book.  I will see if my library has a copy. 

Are you familiar with Robert Maynord site on mediums?  He didn't reinvent the "wheel" obviously
but he has what appears to be some alternatives.  His blog is also of great interest...

Wishing you a wonderful Monday! 

I am not sure what is happening but I am not receiving the notify (it is checked) when there is a
reply. 

Angelica... :)

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2014 at 7:41am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Hi Angelica,
1) ShinHan of Korea has a finer ground Opera water color. The finest particle size makes the best color. I bought some dry Opera from some company and it was too large of a grain. I have photos on this page.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/operamagentasilk-greencarnations-wc11x15.htm
What you see is what you get with this color.
2) I mixed Opera with transparent yellow and got a brighter red than ever. Mixing it with cyan gave me a bright blue. With green I got a beautiful dark. The only thing you can't do with Opera is make a dark mass-tone magenta. So you still need PR122 without the BV10.
3) Sunsets are good. I chose some flowers that had the Opera color. Sunsets have it.
4) I also made a good acrylic paint with the dry pigment. Holbein makes an Aqua Oil emulsion paint so it's an oil, w/c or acrylic paint right off the shelf.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2014 at 5:38am

AngelicaV   Offline
YaBB Newbies
San Diego, CA

Hi Don,

1)  I finally had a chance to see a tube of Opera by Holbein today.  It appeared to be a fluorescent magenta or pink.  Is that what you see when it is on paper or canvas? 

2)  Have you mixed this with small amounts of white or other colors? 

3)  I didn't purchase it yet.  I wasn't sure it would be the color to capture the magenta shades I see in the sunsets here.   

4)  Have you used it in the skies?

5)  Do you have other painting subjects that this color worked well for?

Thank you,
Angelica

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 9:11pm

AngelicaV   Offline
YaBB Newbies
San Diego, CA

I used Faux Effects paints and mediums in my mural work.  Yes, they do have that brush...I will look back and send you the link for other brushes that are unique.  I have used them in my fine art also.  Their paints are rich in pigment.  They carry a stand version and a professional version of products.  The professional version difference is having taken all of the classes before they will sell you the products...It was a 2 year commitment and rather expensive!  But worth it.  I had the chance to blend my fine art with the faux art murals. 

Thank you for the information on acrylics...I had to put my brushes away for several years while my son recovered from major transplant surgery.  I am looking forward to jumping back in and expressing my passion again.

I have sent out notices to 6 of my artist friends to your link...they will be signing up. 

Thanks for the info on the final varnish from the hardware store...

Happy painting on this beautiful day,
Angelica Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 4:18am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Are you familiar with Faux Effects paint products?
D. A little, I think I looked into their brushes. One, if I remember right had maybe 8 smaller squirrel brushes in a row. I never did get into faux work.

I think I will go with the Old Holland acrylics and mediums.  Do you have any preferences in acrylic mediums?
D. There is a fast drying water thin binder by liquitex that I use when going over my charcoal drawing with a thin wash of blue. It doesn't wash off when its dry. Thinning down plain acrylics thins down the binder too much. I like to paint on a white smooth surface so I remove all the charcoal with a water wash. Besides that I just use water and tubed colors. WN has the strongest burnt sienna and ult blue. It's a good brand. I re-read this post, I should mention that I wash the painting down with water each night to get any dirt off. My final finish I have been using for 30 years and still get it at my local hardware store, water based clear Polyurethane.

I love the depth of color Old Holland paints offers.  I appreciate all the information here on your site.  I am also looking forward to trying OPERA by Holbien.
D. Opera is also available in a oil/water emulsion tubed paint called Duo Aqua Oil by Holbein.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 2:17am

AngelicaV   Offline
YaBB Newbies
San Diego, CA

I read through your medium post...very helpful.  I used oils most of my career until I studied at Faux Effects in Vero Beach.  They work only with water base/acrylics.  Working on large murals were a challenge but I liked the final work. 

Are you familiar with Faux Effects paint products? 

I think I will go with the Old Holland acrylics and mediums.  Do you have any preferences in acrylic
mediums?  I love the depth of color Old Holland paints offers.  I appreciate all the information here on your site.  I am also looking forward to trying OPERA by Holbien. 

Thanks, Angelica

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2014 at 10:46am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Media I made=
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/mediatable.htm
All oil smells like oil, turpentine is better than synthetic, Max Doerner is my reference. Good turp smells like flowers.

I work in both media and believe me, if I didn't write the medium on the back I couldn't tell the difference between them, at least not for a couple of years, all oil yellows. Acrylics don't yellow. Acrylics are more difficult to paint with, after your good at it you will prefer and fight for acrylics.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2014 at 10:10am

AngelicaV   Offline
YaBB Newbies
San Diego, CA

Hello Don,

Thank you for the follow up message.  I did get your reply and appreciate the information. I have been researching best prices to order Old Holland Acrylics.  I am surprised how limited fine art supply stores are here in San Diego.  Many of my previous resources are out of business or have resorted to very little price break OUCH! Cry 

My client is leaning toward wanting an oil painting rather than acrylic.  Would you mind sharing about mediums you have used with oils?  I have many of the old traditional mediums, but the odor will be too strong indoors.  Have you used any of the odor free products with success?

I will check out how to post photos here over the next couple of days.  My website is www.artist-bythesea.com

Thank you and have a terrific Tuesday.
Angelica Wink

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 6:13am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

I'm looking forward to seeing your location work AngelicaV. You can post your text and images. You can also change, add or subtract anything that you post at any time.

Q.
Are you still happy with the Duo Holbein Luminous Opera color?  I noticed that they have a beautiful violet as well. 
There is a notification on the Dick Blick site that all of the luminous shades are not permanent?  Have you experienced this?  I love the idea of luminous colors.
A.
I like the first finer ground Opera made by Shin Han of Korea. I started the tests in 2005, today, 9 years later they are still bright, I just looked at them.
There was a time that alizarin crimson was considered permanent by Blick's contemporaries, he wasn't around yet, as most of the retailer's today weren't around, they still don't do their own research. Opera is more permanent than alizarin. The color is made with PR122 quinacridone, that's permanent.
Don't trust artiscreation.com to do their own testing either, they have many errors from copying errors. They are still trying to make the red-yellow-blue colorwheel work.

Q.
Do you still feel the Old Holland Acrylic Colors are still consistent with what you had experienced before? 
A.
Absolutely, their acrylics are great. just like their oils. They have the original nickel recipe for oil Indian yellow from 130 years ago. Acrylics are comparatively new, the medium is standard throughout the industry, the pigments are also. No one ever made a transparent mono-toned yellow before, O.H. is/was the first.

IP Logged

Mar 18th, 2014 at 5:52am

AngelicaV   Offline
YaBB Newbies
San Diego, CA

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:33:41 -1000
Subject: Re: Join RCW forum from forumpaintingonlocation, Don, AngelicaV, 3-16-14
Quoting Angel of Hope   
Thank you for the invitation and look forward to reconnecting with your forum and site.
AngelicaV

Hello Don,

Thank you for the note.  I am reading back through your site and will have some questions.

Two that I have for now are:
Are you still happy with the Duo Holbein Luminous Opera color?  I noticed that they have a beautiful violet as well. 

There is a notification on the Dick Blick site that all of the luminous shades are not permanent?  Have you experienced this?  I love the idea of luminous colors.

Do you still feel the Old Holland Acrylic Colors are still consistent with what you had experienced before? 

I have used Old Holland Oils, but find it necessary to work with water based products again, so I would appreciate any information and suggestions. 
Thank you,
AngelicaV

IP Logged