Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Goto- All About Color, Real Color Wheel in a new window

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)    
David Brougham (Read 3857 times)
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 10:46am

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Color is Everything!
Makawao,  Maui, USA, HI

Thank you David.

David is past President of the Victoria Society of Artists, a founding member of a successful artists Co-op in Victoria, and the original organizer for one of the largest gathering of artists, famous, and budding, in British Columbia, at the world renowned gardens of Hatley Castle, now Royal Roads University.

He has been chosen by a panel of International Jurist's to represent Canada at the prestigious Biennale Internazionale Dell'Arte Contemporanea in Florence Italy. Approximately 600 artists chosen worldwide to attend this event.

IP Logged

Oct 1st, 2003 at 10:39am
DavidB   Ex Member

(Admin: DavidB is not an ex-member, he was a guest, this new forum just couldn't find his Email address)

Hi Don,
Thanks for the reply. It is a long time since I have used black pigment in any work that I have done. I like to use alizarin crimson with Windsor green to achieve the darks in my paintings. Of course more alizarin for warmer darks and conversely green to achieve a deeper black. I like the velvety appearance it gives for the darks, especially when I do any florals that require a sharp separation between the darks and whites. I also use ultramarine blue and burnt umber.

Insert from PoL Don,: Great David, there are two more major oppositions, Cad Red and Thalo Blue is one and Cad Orange and Cobalt Blue is the other. Cad orange and Cobalt Blue have the widest range of neutrals of all color oppositions and Cad Red and Thalo Blue have the narrowist. Using all four combinations should make you a happy camper!

I mentioned moonglow as an afterthought as I like to experiment with any new colors that are new to the market.

Insert from first PoL forum, Don: Danial Smith made a color with your mix discription called Moonglow a number of years ago.

As I mentioned in my previous email, I am physically handicapped and can only get out to paint on location when I can get someone to accompany me. I am quite limited to where I can go. Before I became the way I am now, I used to spend most summers tramping the interior of British Columbia. I love the outdoors and especially painting on location.

I have included a painting that I did on location in the interior of B.C. last fall. Please bear in mind that the jpg image taken from my site is quite darker than the original painting.

I am quite taken with your color wheel and am doing some color washes with this in mind.

Best Regards,
David Brougham
www.treelinestudio.com

Re: DavidB
Ahhhhh...Cad Red and Thalo Blue.....would anyone tell me if the red is light, med, or dark? And the blue...is that the blue shade or the green one?
Very nice landscape!
Melinda

Re: DavidB
Hi Melinda,
Either, any and all will work just fine. As long as it's Thalo blue (cyan) and red.
The word blue by itself is refering to Ultramarine Blue not Thalo blue. Red is YYYMMM any tint thereof.
A shade is not adding black, it's by adding it's complement.

IP Logged